By Scott Billeck
The Winnipeg Jets are holding their annual week long development camp at the MTS Iceplex. The best prospects from within the organization are in Winnipeg looking to impress the Jets brass. Here are some of the our thoughts through day one.
Group B 1:15 PM Skate Notes
– Peter Stoykewych skates with purpose. He has become bigger since his days in the MJHL and looks improved in all aspects of his game. Still looks great as a puck-mover and has the speed to join the rush.
– Joshua Morrissey’s size should not be an issue. His speed, skating technique and shot are NHL worthy.
– Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba look like two players possessed on the ice. They want spots this season.
– Evander Kane and Jacoba Trouba had a friendly stare down after Trouba missed Kane with a pass. Getting comfortable with each other is nice to see.
– It was nice to see Evander Kane out on the ice today, shows good things about him and his commitment to the club.
– Evander does not look any worse for wear out there. Says ankle is feeling good, ahead of schedule in recovery. Still no hard skating yet.
Group A 2:15 PM Skate Notes
– Nic Petan is diminutive in stature, but there is a reason why he was at the top of the scoring chart this year in the WHL. Fast, quick release, power in the shot. Size is overrated with his skill set.
– I wrote Sunday that Jason Kasdorf has the size and tools to be a professional hockey player. Looks good so far, strong positional awareness.
– Evander Kane skated at both sessions.
– Scott Kosmachuk has good puck control, good hand-eye coordination. He was taken in the third round in 2012.
– Nic Petan has incredible hands, a bit of a show off, but then again he’s trying to crack an NHL roster.
– Not as much star power in Group A, and as such, not as many fans. But there is talent there, the aforementioned Nic Petan, Adam Lowry to name a couple. Some of the players have a while before they crack the roster however.
– Juho Olkinuora from Finland has a hell of a glove hand, the 20-year old from Helsinki is un-drafted, stands 6-foot-2, and weighs in at 200 pounds.