By Scott Billeck
The Winnipeg Jets continue to hold their week-long development camp at the MTS Iceplex this week. These are some of our daily observations of the prospects in attendance.
Group B 9:00 AM Skate
– Tucker Poolman can skate, there is a little left to be desired in his puck handling though.
– I know we here at MB Hockey News are biased towards MJHL kids, but Peter Stoykewych has come a long way. Very strong on the puck, speed could use a boost, but that is trainable.
– Josh Morrissey looked a bit nervous today. Looked a little sloppy in a couple drills, moving to fast and forgetting the puck. To be expected, the kid is trying hard to impress, needs to slow down a bit though.
– Eric Comrie is a talented goalie. Yesterday he made a beautiful second effort save and today he is right back at it. Very strong positional goalie, quick, reads plays well and is well-positioned on deflections.
– Morrissey has one hell of a shot, it’s unexpected from a kid of his stature but the Jets will take it.
– It’s not that the other guys here don’t have decent shots, it’s just that guys like Scheifele, Trouba and Morrissey are much further ahead.
– Trouba has excellent vision on the ice and is patient, lets the play develop without jeopardizing the possession.
Group A 11:00 AM Skate
– I’d say that the goaltending in Group A is slightly better. Juho Olkinuora is solid as is Jason Kasdorf. Comrie in Group B is outstanding though.
– Nic Petan continues to impress, his speed and shot are top notch. He also looks like Brad Marchand, just an observation.
– J.C. Lipon has come a long way. Resilient kid after being passed over in the 2011 and 2012 drafts.
– The undrafted Austin Czarnik has been impressive. Great speed, shot accuracy, power.
– Marcus Karlstrom’s camp has been uninspiring so far. I think Detroit got to all the good Swedes first.